Friday, August 27, 2010

Recycled Furniture: Affordable and Stylish


Lately I've been thinking about how people buy furniture...and, what makes the decision easier when confronted with similar pieces.
When I recently received my "FALL" copy of Atomic Ranch magazine, I was floored as to how much of the furniture decor in the articles was new...not vintage.
Now, I really like Atomic Ranch (they're fixin' to come out with another book which should be outstanding just as the first) but the new stuff just doesn't do it for me.
So, I get to pondering why would someone buy reproduction pieces...and, Boy Howdy, I can list a lot of reasons...ease and speed are just a couple that quickly come to mind. We are a society of instant gratification...I know, when I sell on eBay, if it's a European or Pacific Rim buyer, they'll go for the cheapest shipping which takes the longest time for delivery...but, if it's a US buyer they want it shipped ASAP...just cultural differences, I guess.
Finding just the right authentic vintage or retro piece for your decor can take time and be daunting...easier to head up to IKEA and hope it's still in one piece when you get home.
I trust what we sell at Roadhouse Antiques and Vintage will last...heck, it's already made it through 50 years of use and abuse...it should easily last another 50 years...quality endures.
The investment value alone should have people leaning toward authentic pieces...prices are another factor.
Pricing MCM furniture against reproduction should have you solidly in the vintage corner as the real deal is usually less costly than the reproduction. I keep an IKEA catalog close at hand to leaf through from time to time just to remind myself of their prices.
But thrifting, going to estate sales, combing through Craigs List takes time. It seems infinitely more gratifying and an effort worth making, but not for all.
We try to make it easy on the buyer by amassing the goods, hauling 'em to a central location (Austin, TX), and posting for sale below market pricing.
The dealers love us when we hit town with a new trailer load...they want to get the top-end merchandise off the open market and into their stores before the end user can find them on our CL postings...I'm constantly asked if all of our MCM furniture is on our website. The quick answer is NO, it isn't because it sells so fast here in town it's almost fruitless to post it at http://www.rocketranchroadhouse.com/ where we have our other listings.
I hope you find what your looking for and always think about contacting us for special requests...our "pickers" in the mid-west will keep an eye open for you.
Hasta Luego from the Roadhouse in Austin...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello Friend,
Basically one of the biggest benefit is that the recycled furniture is an excellent cost-cutting opportunity, generally offering a savings of thirty to fifty percent off the cost of new furniture.

Sliding wardrobe doors